About Estes Builders
A winning team.
Our journey started in 1989 as a one-man operation. Today we have a team of 14 , a stable of loyal subcontractors and a track record of more than 450 completed homes.
Besides helping lots of people make their dreams a reality, we have earned some of the top awards available to home builders.
As a third-generation builder, company founder Kevin Estes never had any doubt about his path in life. So when he moved to Sequim, Washington to be near his parents, the first order of business was to build a spec house and put it up for sale. He managed the construction and his wife Jo Anne, who happens to be an accountant, kept the books.
The next year he built and sold two homes.
By year three he decided to switch to custom building and hired a designer. “I had worked with good designers and architects in the past,” he recalls. But he knew that mis-communication between the designer and builder can lead to conflicts and delay, neither of which was acceptable. “I wanted to guarantee smooth-running jobs with no surprises for clients, and to deliver finished homes with no defects. Bringing design and construction in house makes it easier to reach those goals because the builder and designer work as a close team.”
The team approach helped Estes Builders grow steadily during the next 20 years. An expanding share of its growth came from word of mouth: referrals from happy customers to their friends, family and colleagues. Today, referrals generate 90% of the company’s business.
Despite that great track record, Kevin knew the company could do better. So in 2007 he decided to apply for a National Housing Quality Award. The company won a Silver award that year; two years later we earned the Gold.
The main attraction of the awards program wasn’t the accolades, but an application process that required us to ramp up our professionalism. For instance we had to write detailed analyses of all aspects of the business, something that required us to think deeply about how we did things, and to look for ways to improve. Once we were chosen as a finalist, a team of industry consultants and former winners visited our company and put a magnifying glass to our business and customer service practices.
Many positive changes have come out of that process. A big one was better communication: between us and our subcontractors to make jobs go more smoothly with fewer defects, and between us and our customers to make the process of building a home more enjoyable.
The experience also refined our commitment to continual improvement. Today, Kevin Estes is one of those former winners who evaluate new applicants. He sees first-hand what the best builders in the industry are doing, and helps us incorporate those lessons into our business.
Much of what we have learned and strive to be is expressed in our Core Values. They’re who we are as homebuilders, how we measure our actions and behaviors. But they’re not just a list posted on the wall. Every member of our team must read and sign them — and put them into practice.
To see for yourself, quiz any Estes Builders staff member on our Core Values and ask for a recent example of our these values in action.
Our Core Values
- Our people are our most important asset.
- We employ only high achievers that reflect our core values of integrity and service.
- We expect a lot from our people and provide them with the needed support to meet those expectations. For instance Estes Builders provides and requires 40 hours of classroom training for every team member. Our staff is one of the most highly trained groups of professionals in the building industry.
- We promote from within. We are a great company to work for.
- We set goals and benchmarks equal to or higher than the highest achieving companies in the country. We are a quality focused organization.
- We continually improve. We continually strive to improve our key success drivers. It is everyone’s responsibility to create new and refined systems to achieve better results.
- We measure what is most important. We focus our measurements on what is most important to our success.
- We are a system driven company. We create effective and efficient systems for nearly all of our repetitive tasks. We keep our systems current and relevant.
- We keep our promises. We are careful what we promise. We do everything we can, aside from permanently damaging the company, to keep them.
- We are professional. We have high standards of conduct, attitude, and appearance – this company is special.
- We set clear expectations for our customers, staff, and business partners based on our core values and constitution.
- We are decision makers. Our people are empowered – our decisions are based on our core values and constitution.
- We are highly profitable. Absolutely necessary for our employment security, but not our primary reason for being. We are prudent with controlling expenses.
- We are industrious. We work hard. We get things done.
If this sounds like a home builder you’d like to work with, contact us for a free Project Analysis.
The design has turned out to fit our lifestyle just right.
The plans were drawn better in one week than another designer/builder did in two months.
From the start of this process to the completion, it has been fun.
Our sketches and ideas were translated into a viable floor plan, and adapted perfectly to the slope of the lot
Your in-house design team made it a snap with their knowledge and expertise
Estes took care of things that we didn't even think of.
We have a “showplace” home delivered on budget and on time. We could not have asked for more.
Honesty, integrity and genuine interest to listen.
Our home was completed on time with no surprises.
Each of our concerns was yours too. Once again Thank You for this endless consideration
My mother in Ohio loves checking up on our home via the website! What a good idea!
We have a "showplace" home delivered on budget and on time. We could not have asked for more.
Exceptional choice, quality, delivery, service and value describe our experience with Estes Builders