When Choosing A Lot for Your Custom Home, Start Here
There are lots of things to think about when designing and building a custom home: how many square feet, how many bedrooms, if you’ll add a music room or mother-in-law suite or garage workshop (or all of the above).
But one of the most important decisions to make when planning your dream home is location, location, location.
The right lot for your dream home will depend on several factors including light, space, privacy, views, and of course price.
As you stand on an empty lot it might be easy to imagine sipping a glass of red on your back deck as you take in the panoramic Pacific Northwest views. Or maybe you envision a master suite with a corner soaking tub overlooking the Sound. Perhaps a music room with views of the majestic fir, cedar and spruce all around. It’s easy to envision the possibilities.
It’s not always so easy to spot the pitfalls.
When you are looking for the right piece of land for your home, here are some things to consider before you sign on the bottom line to purchase your lot.
- Grading and clearing: Grading and clearing can be budget busters. Get a clear estimate upfront of the potential costs to avoid surprises later.
- Community restrictions: You may imagine a spectacular view from your second story master suite, but community restrictions may have a height requirement that prevents you from building your home, your way. Be prepared with a thorough understanding of local and neighborhood ordinances and how they impact your home design.
- Wildlife permits: Part of the beauty and majesty of the Pacific Northwest is the wildlife. Building codes and permits must adhere to restrictions designed to promote the protection of wildlife. This will vary from one lot to another, so find out about the time and costs involved beforehand.
Here’s the good news about choosing a lot: you don’t have to go it alone. In fact, we like to get involved early on – before you even purchase your lot. We’ve been building custom homes in Western Washington for more than 29 years so we are experts in helping you find the right lot for your dream home. Best of all, we offer a free site evaluation to help you understand the opportunities and challenges of a site before you purchase land. If you already own land, our free site analysis will help you determine how to design and build a safe, beautiful home that maximizes light, space, views and privacy.
Schedule a free Project Analysis today to learn more.
Sign up for FREE Updates
The design has turned out to fit our lifestyle just right.
The plans were drawn better in one week than another designer/builder did in two months.
From the start of this process to the completion, it has been fun.
Our sketches and ideas were translated into a viable floor plan, and adapted perfectly to the slope of the lot
Your in-house design team made it a snap with their knowledge and expertise
Estes took care of things that we didn't even think of.
We have a “showplace” home delivered on budget and on time. We could not have asked for more.
Honesty, integrity and genuine interest to listen.
Our home was completed on time with no surprises.
Each of our concerns was yours too. Once again Thank You for this endless consideration
My mother in Ohio loves checking up on our home via the website! What a good idea!
We have a "showplace" home delivered on budget and on time. We could not have asked for more.
Exceptional choice, quality, delivery, service and value describe our experience with Estes Builders
- Bainbridge Island Real Estate
- Bathroom Design Ideas
- Build a Custom Home for Retirement
- Building a custom home
- Case Studies
- Clallam County New Homes
- Custom Home Budget
- Custom Home Builder
- Custom Home Builder Testimonials
- Custom Home Construction
- Custom Home Cost
- Custom Home Design
- Custom Home Floor Plan
- Custom Home Floor Plans
- Custom Home Planning Tools
- Customer Service
- Design a Custom Home
- Employment Opportunities
- Free Reports
- Green Building
- Green custom homes
- Home Building
- New Home
- Plan Your Custom Home Build
- Port Ludlow New Homes
- Port Townsend Custom Homes
- Poulsbo New Homes
- Sequim Custom Home Builder